Thursday, June 02, 2011

Sticking to it...

Parenting seems to be an ever evolving process and everyone chooses different methods, often directed by the babies being parented.  Here is a short list of a few things that worked really, really well for us last time (both physically and emotionally) that I don't plan to change for this UCB2:
1- Breastfeeding.  It worked for us.  Once Urban Cowbaby & I got the hang of things it not only worked but we both loved it.  I nursed Urban Cowbaby for 18 months and would like to be able to nurse UCB2 at least that long, too.
2- Co-Sleeping.  It started as a survival method and morphed into a true pleasure.  I loved having Urban Cowbaby so close to me all the time, especially when I returned to work.  I loved how easy it made nighttime nursing sessions.  I especially loved waking up in the morning and seeing my sweet little boy's face before seeing anyone or anything else.  (Sorry Urban Cowboy, our son has trumped you there!)
3- Cloth diapering.  It is so easy.  I cannot even begin to tell you how much I love our cloth diapering habits and primary system (Kissaluvs with Thirsties covers).  I could go on and on and on about my perceived benefits of cloth diapering and about saving the world through cloth diapering but I said this would be short so just know this: our family loves it.
4- Pacifers.  Look, I don't love them.  I'm not looking forward to the weaning process.  But, in all honesty, considering who my kid was and his needs, they helped us.  And, as my mother-in-law points out, no college or job application is going to inquire how long someone had a pacifer before they gave it up.  That said, if UCB2 gives us signs that he/she needs that comfort, I'm not going to deny them.
5- Baby Wearing.  Life is "easy" if you're wearing your kid and have your hands "free" to do stuff.  Additionally, the closeness you and your child feel when he/she is being worn is amazing!  They are always close to you, are comforted by the sound of your heartbeat and the smell of your skin.  Plus, wearing your baby makes certain things like grocery shopping or festivals/fairs so much easier.  We have 2 styles - a sling/pouch and a mei tai.
Many of you may disagree with our style or just recognize that it doesn't work for you and your family.  That's cool, I'm not asking you to adopt any of our parenting practices or choices.  I just like to share what works for us. 
P.S. I have approximately one week to go before UCB2 arrives ...

No comments: