Monday, February 16, 2009

Cloth Diaper comments...

So, today I was conversing with a colleague who recently found out I am pregnant. She wanted to chat and was asking all sorts of questions about the baby and how the pregnancy is going and all that general stuff. Then she starts going into the "this may be too personal" territory and begins to ask me about my plans to breastfeed or not. Ok, fine, I offer up the information that, yes, I plan to breastfeed. Well, she goes on to to tell me how happy that makes her because it's the best experience and yada, yada. Then I go on to tell her that we're also planning to cloth diaper and she totally responded with, "well, you won't keep up with that" and proceeded to tell me that the reason I won't keep up with it is ... wait for it ... because the kid will have a wet diaper all the time. Yes, she didn't give me the other list of standard reasons most people give when they hear you're planning to cloth diaper and they don't believe you can do it - you know, like the laundry and the inconvenience and the cost - nope, she tells me the reason we won't stick with it is because my kid will always have a wet diaper. This intrigues me because as far as I know, babies don't pee/poo any more or less in a cloth diaper than they do in a disposable. (Moms, feel free to dispute me on this one.) Maybe what she meant to tell me is that it's a lot more obvious and less tolerable for the baby when they're wet in a cloth diaper than when they're wet in a disposable? Generally, I try not to mind when people spread their negative energy in my direction re: my life choices ... goodness, I know I spread plenty of my own negative energy and direct it toward others at times ... what I do mind is that this woman felt she was dispensing some type of motherly wisdom and what I heard was just plain ignorance. I'm sure I'm being a bit sensitive and I'm sure I will encounter challenges with cloth diapering versus disposable. I'm also absolutely sure that my child will have a wet diaper as frequently in a cloth diaper versus a disposable. All the other reasons people give? I accept them and acknowledge their validity, the reason this lady gave, though? I can't accept it and it actually made me feel bad for her kids as I imagined what their poor little bottoms were subjected to because their diapers weren't "as wet" as mine will be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a dumb comment. Maybe she thought the kid would be wrapped in plastic and would be sweaty all the time...thus the "wet" comment. who knows. I do know that when you tell women who are our mother's age that you're CDing, they always gasp because they think it will be like it was when we were babies and they CD'd us. But it's not. There are so many more options...including this fabulous little sprayer that i just found that you attach to your toilet to spray the poopies off. I'm SO getting one. Anyway, at least we are not giving our children potential reproductive problems by using 'sposies. And we're not contributing to one of the largest fillers of the landfills....not to mention the bleaching process and that going into water systems and the leftover chemicals going into baby's skin. PLUS, it's a fact that CD's babies get far less diaper rashes, if any. So, there's another product you're eliminating. What a dumb comment. if you see her again, just start rambling all the horrible thing about disposables. I gotch'r back. ;)