Friday, January 09, 2009

My 1st Pregnancy Related Blog Post

I'd like to let to share with you a few things I've learned about pregnancy so far:

1- every single woman's pregnancy experience is unique and different from other women
2- morning sickness is a total lie! I don't know why they just don't call it "pregnancy sickness" considering it can last all day/night (mine did) and it can go on longer than the first trimester (mine did but, thankfully, only by 2 weeks)
3- they said my pregnancy sickness would just one day disappear. I didn't believe them. I couldn't have believed them at the time. They were right. One day I felt like absolute crap and then the next I felt fine. It was almost anti-climatic.
4- when I'm hungry...I'm really hungry! I'm not hungry all the time but when it hits I need food, STAT.
5- suddenly, I worry about things I had never once before given a second thought. Conversely, there are a lot of things I suddenly seem to accept and no longer worry about.
6- hearing the heartbeat, seeing it flash on the ultrasound screen, viewing a little person growing inside you, feeling flutters and eventual definite movement - these are all experiences that are indescribable with mortal words but wholly fulfilling and joyous.

Yesterday was the beginning of the 19th week of our pregnancy. I'm used to measuring my life by weeks due to my job so that's not new to me. What is new to me is the constant amazement and simultaneous panic I experience when I take the time to truly reflect on what the past 19 weeks have been and what the future 21 weeks will be.

No comments: