Thursday, January 26, 2012

Should there be a 4th R?

I just read a blog post on Seventh Generation's website in which is was proposed that there should be a 4th R in the REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE campaign.  The proposed 4th R would be REPAIR.  I have to say, I completely agree with this.  Recently, our washer & dyer both went caput on us (in the same week, in fact) and between the 2 appliances it only cost us approximately $75 to REPAIR versus buying new.  Now, the cost was kept down soely because Urban Cowboy did the work himself, thanks to the internet and other DIYers sharing their knowledge.  If he had not repaired them himself or if we had not been willing to pay a repair person to do it, it would have resulted in 2 perfectly good appliances in a landfill.  How sad.  In fact, I even get shoes repaired when the wear out.  Now, in all honesty, I do have to confess that I get shoes repaired more because I like those specific pairs more than because it helps the earth to do so ... but, still.  Anyway, I just thought I would spread the whole idea of the need for a 4th R out there - we can all think about it and decide or act accordingly.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I will happily vote for the 4th R. On my weekly to-do list one of the items is mend/refill one thing. Very useful!