Thursday, April 08, 2010

www.spokeo.com - AN ALERT

A friend alerted me to this website.  Her husband works for a local police department.

If you value your privacy and haven't done a "virtual audit" on yourself in awhile, I highly suggest you visit the site to discover if your name/information is listed. 

Here is an official email from a police officer regarding this site:

You may want to check to see whether or not you appear on this public website. If you are on this website-- it may list your address, home phone number and even a Google map picture of your home, plus information about your wife, kids etc. See the email below for instructions on how to remove your name. The web site is www.spokeo.com.


Go to the site and enter your name. If your information is on there and you want it removed, go to the bottom of the home page and click on privacy. Follow the instructions to remove your information. It is supposed to take about 24 hours to remove your info.

Patrick J. ODonnell
Sr. Law Enforcement Liaison
Central California

2 comments:

Andy said...

Interesting... This is what it says about me:

Age: mid 60's
Gender: Male
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Zodiac: Scorpio
Relationship: Married
Children: No

I know I often feel old, but mid 60s?! That's just insulting! Everything except gender and relationship are incorrect. Then it went on to say:

Enjoys shopping
Enjoys retail shopping

Clearly this site has never met me. ;-)

Urban Cowgirl said...

LOL - Yeah, when I looked myself up it said that Urban Cowboy and I are a $1 million+ household! We wish! But some of the other info (like our address) was dead-on so that's why I removed our info from the site.