Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Grandma Cook

My Grandma Cook died on Friday morning. She was 15 days shy of turning 89 years old. What can I say about Grandma Cook? She was truly generous and caring. She only wanted what was best for everyone she ever knew. She devoted her life to taking care of her family and praying for their spirtitual, physical, and mental well-being. She wasn't afraid to let you know when she thought you were making poor decisions but she was equally ready to tell you when she was proud of you for doing the right thing. Grandma Cook was a woman with unfailing and immeasureable faith in God and her belief that Christ is the one, true Salvation. Toward the end of her life, she sometimes was confused about the day or sometimes she didn't recognize her visitors but she never lost sight of her goal to someday join the Father and the Son in Heaven. If Grandma had any one sadness or regret in her death, it would be the fact it took her dying to finally bring the entire family together and she would have loved to see the whole family gathered while she was still alive. It is this imagined sadness for which I thank her because it serves as reminder to value and support our family and stresses the importance of keeping connected. As a family, we believe she is in a better place and she is free from pain, confusion, and sadness. Her death is only the beginning for her because she now is able to spend eternity in God's Paradise with the loved ones she's been missing for many years. As a family, we also look to Grandma's faith to serve as an example of how to go through our daily lives and adjust to life without her physical presence. I reflect on her life and realize how much I did not know about her but appreciate the things I do know and appreciate her influence on me as I continue to grow in adulthood. Grandma Cook was a woman with a soul full of love for all of us. I am glad to have been included in her family and to be loved by her. She will be greatly missed.

1 comment:

yll said...

Oh honey, I am so sorry you lost her. I know how much you loved her. What a beautiful sentiment & tribute to her that you've posted here. I'm glad she was able to see you get married to your love before she passed.

Please let me know if you need anything, or if there's anything I can do for you.
Love,
D.