Thursday, July 26, 2007

Moment of Self-Observation

When I am presented with a potentially confrontational situation with a person I know, I rarely make the first contact; rather, I wait for the other person to make the first move before I engage myself and react to their actions/words. Right now, I am waiting for someone I know to confront me about a particular event and my involvement (or lack thereof) in the planning and execution of the event. I am making a conscience decision to refrain from reacting to this potential confrontation because I am in a position of defense as a result of a power shift in the relationship. I know myself and I know defense is almost always equated to negativity and hostility which will not help repair this damaged relationship. I am also refraining from reaction to this potential confrontation because I feel betrayed by key players in the situation and I do not want them to know how hurt I feel from their betrayal because giving them that knowledge would enable them to hurt me more. The reality of life is everyone does not get along all of the time and while our differences make us beatiful and unique they also cause friction and stress.

1 comment:

yll said...

I hope it works out sweetie. I know what you mean by giving someone the knowledge that you're hurt (esp if by them).