Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A meaningless hug?

The Christmas holiday season has officially begun and with it is the beginning of lots of family functions and fun with friends. I have to be honest, I am not the biggest fan of the Christmas holiday season. I prefer Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day to Thanksgiving through the New Year celebrations. Who doesn't love a picnic with hot dogs, hamburgers, and lemonade (maybe even Mike's HARD Lemondade)?

The primary reason for my lack of enthusiasm for the Christmas holiday season is the scheduling of all the events people want you to attend and the feeling of obligation that accompanies said invites. I like visiting people and hanging out but I don't like feeling as though I have to be there, you know?

The secondary reason for my lack of enthusiasm for the Christmas holiday season is the fakey-fakey hugs I am constantly subjected to! Now, don't get me wrong ... I think hugs are fabulous! I love hugs! I revel in hugs! But I only like hugs from people I care about and who care about me. I like hugs with feelings. See, significant others and family give caring hugs. Random people give fake hugs that make everyone feel wierd and uncomfortable. It's my personal opinion that meaningless hugs must stop! Meaningless hugs are the equivalent to going around saying "I love ____", thus diminishing the weight of the word. If you're going around giving meaningLESS hugs you're diminishing the value and quality of others meaningFUL hugs.

Conclusion: This holiday season, give caring hugs, not fakey-fakey hugs!

PS Drunken idiotic hugs are exempt from today's rants and are considered perfectly acceptable by ... me! :-)

No comments: