Wednesday, May 07, 2008

"I've always thought my flowers had souls." - Myrtle Reed


The vegetable garden has not yet been planted but the flower gardens are coming along splendidly! I am currently referring to my flowerbeds as my "Friendship Garden" because my wonderful friends have been so generous and give me wonderful plants from their yards! After tearing out the ferns and lilies I have been left with practically empty flowerbeds and was struggling with what to plant to fill them back in. I have a lot of shade in my yard which means I have to be careful about what I choose to plant so that I am not condemning the plants to certain death. Well, with my friends help I am well on my way to a beautifully landscaped garden! I have acquired 3 different varieties of hosta from 3 different people. I have also acquired an unknown (to us) flowering plant which will produce yellow flowers through middle summer and will spread every year to create very dense foliage (unless I thin the plants out each year). And I was given several bunches of lamb's ear which will be great along the side of my house where the largest fern population was and so my neighbors will no longer have to look at dirt decorated with a few small bushes. Soon I will be able to transplant some Lily of the Valley from my mom's yard and maybe even a clump of daisies or two. At this point, I may even be running out of room for more plants! I feel blessed to be able to look out over my yard and see plants from my friends gardens. I know I'm cheesy for thinking this but I feel like a part of each of them is growing in my yard and, thus, in my heart!

No comments: