Friday, September 01, 2006

A Hobby Renewal

Well, it's happened. I never thought it would, couldn't have been convinced I would be this person again...it's true. Oh, the little surpises life throws at you!

Yes, I've started running again. I'm not training for a marathon, or even trying to run a specific number of miles a week. No, nothing too big or crazy. I've merely started running again. Yesterday, I ran 2.5 miles. . . almost consequatively. The first 1.75 miles were definitely without any walking. I'm very proud of myself.

If I never thought I would be a runner again, why am I running now? Honestly, it's cheap. Cheap is good! I'm planning a wedding here, folks, and I can't afford to join a fancy gym or pay for dance aerobics! More than that. . . I want to look F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S in my wedding dress and running is one of the best ways to burn a high number of fat calories in short amount of time! That's right. I'm one of "those" people who's motivation is 75% driven by how I will look in a particular outfit.

Of course, the other 25% of my motivation is based on exercise as a stress reliever and if I ever want to have children, they say the more in shape you are the easier the birth will go. Anything to make it easer, except an epidural, and I'm in. (I'm not exactly anti-epidural but I do think I am going to try to go without...I don't want to be in a hospital, either, I want to be in a birthing center with a midwife but we'll see when the time comes)

I like running, though. My mind is usually so full of so much stuff like what's going on in my classes or what I have to do at work or how much time I have to do laundry and still make time to study that running is a great escape. When I'm running I don't think about any of that stuff, I just think about going a little further, opening my stride, breathing, not tripping on tree roots, watching for dog do-do, making it to the next clump of trees. You get the point.

1 comment:

yll said...

I was wondering what you've been doing; you've been lookin GOOD lately.

But I just figured it was the opposite of me, sittin around not doing anything, & consuming lots of sugar.